OPINION: Questions Regarding New Highway & Main Street Bridge
June 18, 2017
Last Updated on
Questions Regarding the Proposed New Highway and Main Street Bridge
I am an out-of-province part time resident tax payer in Sicamous and during my last visit met with a lady in the Askew’s parking lot who had a lot of information on the controversy surrounding the Sicamous Main Street Bridge. She was soliciting signatures opposing the new Main Street Bridge. Before I sign her petition I wanted to do my own due diligence and investigation. I looked up the presentation done by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure as well to familiarize myself with the 3 options. There are a few points that out-of-province residents need to consider when evaluating the options:
- The current mayor is not a Sicamous tax payer yet he’s supporting the new Main Street Bridge.
- If the Main Street Bridge is built, the Sicamous tax payer is responsible for the ongoing maintenance costs of the new bridge. From what I have read they are unable to project how much that might be which I find unacceptable.
- The residents on the other side of the channel would not pay anything for the use of the proposed Main Street Bridge.
- Throughout the presentation, there is reference to a new frontage road at Silver Sands Road but that intersection is conveniently not on the presentation. What exactly would that look like?
- What is happening at the intersection of Hwy 1 and Hwy 97A? There is no reference to how that intersection will work when it is a four lane highway.
- Everyone agrees that the intersection at Old Spallumcheen Road and Hwy 1 is deadly and something needs to be done. The option to provide an eastbound flow through lane to Gill Street seems to be a reasonable solution. Having said that, why spend more money building a separate bride altogether which is only two blocks away? The added economic benefit should be there whether they go with a new Main Street Bridge or the new eastbound flow through lane.
I am only mentioning some of the questions I need answers to and encourage all residents of Sicamous whether full time or part time, to investigate and be informed before a final decision is made.
The author of this letter wishes to remain anonymous.
Please read this before sharing or commenting. (edit June 20, 2017)